Read/review the following resources for this activity:
The video “Becoming a Leader: What is Leadership” is an interesting and fun presentation by Richard Rierson. Rierson is a former Marine, commercial pilot, entrepreneur and certified leadership coach and trainer. He believes that leadership challenges include learning how to meet our personal challenges with calmness, confidence and consistency. He covers many topics related to leadership in this 12-minute video.
Initial Post Instructions
Watch the video on “What is leadership?” and answer the following questions:
- Would the authors of our course textbook agree with what is said in the video? (e.g. Would they be in agreement with the video’s definition of leadership?) Be specific.
- Is there anything in the video that was not discussed in class that called your attention? If so, explain.
- After watching the video and studying the materials for this week, would you say leadership is important? If it is, how so? If it is not, why not?
Secondary Post Instructions
Read and respond to posts made by at least two peers. Respond in one of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your peer’s post.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- In addition to one initial post, respond to at least two peers.
- Initial Post Length: minimum of 250 words
- Secondary Post Length: minimum of 200 words per post
- Use APA format for in-text citations and list of references.
Grading and Assessment
Meeting the minimum number of postings does not guarantee an A; you must present an in-depth discussion of high quality, integrate sources to support your assertions, and refer to peers’ comments in your secondary posts to build on concepts.
Course Learning Outcome(s): 1, 2, 5
1. Develop a working definition of leadership.
2. Interpret the characteristics of leadership.
5. Generalize the responsibilities of successful leadership experiences.