- Answer only five questions.
- Write the question and your answer below.
- One or two pages for each question; type in double space.
- Write answers clearly in your own words; if you quote or paraphrase from someone’s work, cite the reference.
- Be crisp and to-the-point
- The answers should reflect your understanding of the subject-matter.
- Do not miss the deadline. There will be NO make-up opportunity.
1. What do you understand by semantics as a major component of language, and explain denotative and connotative meanings with at least one example.
2. Explain in detail the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis of Linguistic Relativity that discusses the relationship among thought, culture and language.
3. Explain the following three forms of non-verbal communication:
kinesics (body language), proxemics (personal space), chronemics (time) with at least one example each.
4. Explain the cultural differences in styles of persuasion with at least one
5. What do you understand by the maintenance of face in interpersonal
6. In your textbook, the authors suggest some tips on improving intercultural relationships. Discuss them.
7. Intercultural communication takes place in a variety of social contexts –
health care, education and business were discussed in the textbook. Select one, and explain the importance, and challenges faced by participants.
8. From your perspective and from what you have learned in this class, discuss the impact one recent national or international event on intercultural communication.
9. Explain the following concepts:
a. Culture shock
b. Sociocultural adaptation
c. Similarity-attraction hypothesis
d. Communication accommodation theory