Conflict resolution & hr and benefits of a diverse workforce
Assignment 1: Conflict Resolution and HR
Working with teams that extend beyond national boundaries can be challenging. Different norms, work styles, values, and laws need to be taken into consideration to succeed. Communication is imperative as is sensitivity to the needs of all parties.
Review the scenario you read in M1: Assignment 3.
Imagine you are partnering with a progressive Middle Eastern country. In this country, there is very little separation between a worker’s religious beliefs, family, and work. Your team is on a strict deadline, and bonuses are at stake. The local employees take a midday break for two hours for prayers every day. Friday is a religious holiday, and so they do not work from 3:00 p.m. on Thursday until 8:00 a.m. on Monday. The project is due on Monday morning, and the other employees are resentful for having to work overtime.
Respond to the following:
- What could HR do to ensure a harmonious work environment?
- What challenges does a manager face in this situation?
- What approach should a manager take to ensure cooperation rather than resistance?
- What role does communication play in this scenario?
Assignment 2: Benefits of a Diverse Workforce
Communication is of utmost importance in diverse teams. How a manager approaches a situation can determine the future direction of teamwork and ultimately the level of success achieved. When communicating with diverse teams, whether verbally, via e-mail, or in writing, managers need to consider the potential reactions as well as the intention of the message.
Review the scenario you read in M2: Assignment 1 and the discussion of possible HR actions. Based on the review, develop a 3-4 page memo to the project teams addressing the following:
- Remind both managers and employees of the benefits of a culturally diverse workgroup.
- Make recommendations on how to avoid scheduling issues due to the religious observance.
- Explain how you arrived at your decision using relevant academic references.
- Justify your suggestions by using empirical evidence and reference to any applicable laws.
Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M2_A2.doc.