Critical Thinking Instructional Unit
Plan and develop a 1-week critical thinking instructional unit. The unit must include the following components and address Common Core State Standards or other relevant national or state academic standards**:
1. Overview of the unit
a. Unit title
b. Unit focus: include critical thinking strategies such as the use of graphic organizers, Socratic questioning, the integration of technology and other processes as appropriate for the grade level and subject area
c. Unit length
d. Unit goals
2. Five lesson plans appropriate to the unit that include the following elements:
1) Integration of multiple state and national standards
2) Evidence of inclusion of at least three critical thinking strategies*
3) Reflection of various levels of thinking
b. A list of materials used in the lesson
c. Detailed instructional sequence
1) Address students’ diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
2) Incorporate student and teacher use of technology and other forms of interactive learning as appropriate to teach critical thinking skills for the grade level and subject area.
3) Involve students in critical thinking processes such as the use of graphic organizers, Socratic questioning, integration of technology and other processes as appropriate for grade level and subject area.
3. All assignments, handouts, and materials necessary for teaching the five lessons
4. A copy of each assessment for the five lessons. Include at least the following items:
a. One performance-based assessment and the rubric to be used
b. One formative assessment
c. One summative assessment
5. A bibliography written in APA format that includes strategies for teaching critical thinking skills as appropriate for the grade level and subject area