Database design project | Computer Science homework help
Database Design Project
You just took a job with a University and have been asked to track some information about the courses they offer. The previous employee was using a spreadsheet to track this information. The University is expanding from three classes to three hundred classes. Enrollment is expected to increase from around 20 students to 5,000. Your supervisors are not very tech savvy and they simply ask you to continue maintaining the spreadsheet. You feel that developing a database is a better solution.
Attached is the spreadsheet currently in use.
Write a proposal for the new database design to include:
- An executive summary for the database project
- Develop main project details
- Explain the issues that exist with maintaining the data in its current form.
- Explain the process of migrating the data in its current form to a well formed data model by highlighting the following in detail:
- Identify required attributes that need to be tracked
- Identify functional dependencies
- Show the redesign in 1NF, 2NF, and 3NF (similar to figures 7.29, 7.31, 7.33 photos attached)
- Explain the project benefits of the data in its new form.
- Create the E-R diagram of your relational tables using MySQL Workbench and include in proposal.
- Propose some additional data items, which you believe may be beneficial to the University if tracked in your database (i.e. Descriptions, more info about the instructors and students, departments, etc). Describe the steps required to implement these additions.
- Identify project risks
- In addition to the proposal, in a separate file submit:
- Provide the SQL statement required to create at least one of your tables.
- Provide the SQL statement required to delete at least one of your tables.
- Provide the SQL statement required to create a view which includes Course #, Course Name, Time, and Days only.
- Identify at least one index, which you believe would improve performance. Explain your choice.