Assignment 4: Educational Law Project Presentation
Due Week 10 and worth 240 points
In your assignments, journal activity, and discussion, you have researched and analyzed case law related to school desegregation; church-state interaction; education of students with disabilities and English Language Learners (ELL) students; teacher rights; school and district responsibilities; and funding. You are now tasked with presenting information for a model school district or school system that includes an overview and summary statements relevant to case law to present to the state department of education. Create a presentation using Prezi or similar software in order to present your research. The information within your presentation will assist the state department of education in developing a district-wide professional development plan geared toward improving the overall test scores of the schools within the district. Note: A video to help students record narration for the PowerPoint presentation is available in the course shell.
Prepare a ten (10) slide presentation in which you:
- Present your findings using Prezi, PowerPoint, or a presentation software of your choice. (Note: Notify the professor on Week 7 concerning the software you choose to use for the presentation).
- Include a title slide and references section. (These two (2) slides are not part of the ten (10) slide minimum requirement).
- Develop a creative, appealing presentation using your chosen tool for a professional audience, using two to three (2-3) colors, two to three (2-3) fonts, and two to three (2-3) other visuals or graphics.
- Provide coherent, clear, organized, and substantive content that can be easily understood by the audience.
- Provide detailed narration (speaker) notes with the presentation.
- Provide an overview of the model school district or school system. The overview should include, at a minimum, background on your school with defining demographics of the district (characteristics of the population, grade level(s), and faculty background information).
- Discuss how school integration will be addressed with supporting details from one case law ruling related to school desegregation.
- Provide a summary of how appropriate church-state interaction will be addressed with supporting details from one case law ruling related to church-state interaction.
- Summarize regulations related to attendance and discipline. Explain guidelines of necessity for each and how each will be addressed for plausible challenges or problems that might arise. Support your attendance and discipline policies with case law examples.
- Describe how instruction will be provided for all students, including provisions to accommodate students with disabilities and English Language Learners (ELL) students. Use determinations from case examples to support instructional decisions.
- Briefly explain the faculty and administration selection process related to certification, trainings, contracts, faculty responsibilities, and tenure. Support your faculty related policies with case law examples.
- Provide an overview of the responsibilities of a school board and how school board members will be selected. Support school board policies with case law examples.
- Describe how funding will be provided and allocated for your model school system. Support your funding and allocation guidelines with case law examples.
- Provide a brief description to provide an overview of how students will be assessed annually to measure academic progress and how the school system will be reviewed and assessed annually.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Student Note: In your capstone class, EDU 599, you need to create a portfolio of artifacts from your previous courses. This presentation would be an effective representation of what you have learned regarding education and the law.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the legal framework of the organization of public and private education.
- Explore the principles of case law and legislation related to individual rights of teachers and students and school responsibilities.
- Critique the potential legal liabilities for schools, education personnel, and school districts.
- Interpret the guidelines of effective allocation and use of financial resources to ensure equal educational opportunity and access.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues about education and the law.
- Write clearly and concisely about education and the law using correct grammar and mechanics.