1. Go to the Bank for International Settlements Website to read the results summarized in the article titled “Triennial Central Bank Survey of Foreign Exchange and Derivatives Market Activity in April 2010 – Preliminary Global Results – Turnover”, dated September 2010, located at http://www.bis.org/publ/rpfx10.htm. Be prepared to discuss.
2. Research the Internet for recent articles (within the last 12 months) that criticizes the activities or performance of commercial banks. .
• From the first e-Activity, speculate one specific area in which the next Triennial report may show a significant change. Explain how you arrived at your conclusion.
• Considering the U.S. Federal Reserve Board announced that U.S. interest rates will stay low through mid-2014, analyze how this will affect the foreign exchange derivatives market. Suggest whether or not you agree with this strategy. Provide support for your rationale.
• Assess the obligation commercial banks have in building consumer confidence and rate how the banks are doing in this regard. Support your response with evidence or an example.
• From the second e-Activity, summary the author’s or authors’ criticism of commercial banks. Provide a counter argument to the criticism using examples or evidence to support your response.