Litrature -3a | Literature homework help
We will focus on several elements, starting with Theme. A theme is the overall message or idea an author is trying to convey in a work. Then, you will identify the known as symbol, motif in the work. Finally, you will identify other literary devices such as metaphors, personification, etc. in a work.
Please review the following document for an excellent overview of all these terms, including examples.
· Literary Devices and Terms: Theme https://www.litcharts.com/literary-devices-and-terms/theme (Links to an external site.)
Once you are reviewed this document, choose a work of your own. You can choose a work from Module 2, or any other work of prose (no poetry yet.. we will get to that). Please note, I know many of these works are LONG, so I don’t expect you to do an entire book. You can choose an appropriate excerpt to make it more manageable.
As another example, I chose the most famous Romeo and Juliet scene: The balcony scene. SCENE II.docx Download SCENE II.docxI identified some lines and phrases in which Shakespeare supported one of the themes of the play: Love triumphs over evil. In addition, I identified some areas where there were common motifs (i.e. light, color) and literary devices. This you can use as an example of how to do this in a work. Once you have done this to an excerpt of your own, answer the following questions:
- What is the general plot of the story or scene?
- What is a major theme of this story? (there can be more than one, but you can just use one). Give examples from the work.
- What examples of symbol, motif, and leitwortstil are in this work of literature?
- What other literary devices are used within this work of literature? Give examples from the work.