PHIL 1040 online
Questions on Plato, Euthyphro
1. Where does the dialogue take place? What is the back story?
2. For what term is Socrates seeking a definition?
3. What is the first response which Euthyphro gives to Socrates’s request for a definition? What problem does Socrates have with this answer? (Hint: It’s about definitions and examples.)
4. What is the definition which Euthyphro then provides for Socrates?
5. What is the first problem with this definition that Socrates raises? How does Euthyphro respond to it?
6. What dilemma based on this definition does Socrates then propound? (Hint: A dilemma is a choice between two unpleasant alternatives that we seem to be forced to make.)
7. What revised definition does Euthyphro offer? What problem does Socrates see with the revised definition?
8. How does the dialogue end? What progress have the speakers made toward a resolution of the question?